From the time it was introduced back in 2014, e-Visa India facility has undergone a number of changes. In order to increase the number of foreign visitors, the government of India has implemented some changes in the online visa policy.
The changes came into effect after noticing the increase in the number of foreign visitors. As per the statistics, the number of tourists who applied for an Indian e-Tourist visa was about 1,456,615 that rose to a total of 2,061,511 in 2018, registering a growth of 41.5%. So to give a boost to Indian tourism, following rules of applying for an online visa has been updated in 2019:
Recent Changes Made in E-Tourist And E-Business Visa Categories
|S.NO||PARTICULARS||PREVIOUS STATUS||REVISED STATUS|
|1||Duration of e-Visa||For a maximum period of 60 days||Duration has been extended up to 1 year from the date of grant of ETA|
|2||No. of Entries||Double Entry||Multiple Entries|
|3||Duration of Stay Per Visit||Up to 60 days maximum||For e-Tourist visa, continuous stay during each visit shall not exceed 90 days for all eligible countries except for nationals of US, UK, Japan and Canada. For residents of the US, UK, Japan and Canada, continuous stay during each visit should not exceed 180 days.For e-business visa, continuous stay during each visit should not exceed 180 days for nationals of all eligible nations.|
|4||No. of times visa issued in a year||3 times in a calendar year||Multiple times|
|5||Entry Ports||26 Airports and 5 Seaports||2 more airports (Port Blare and Bhubaneswar) has been added increasing the total to 28.|
|6||No. of Eligible Countries||166||Saudi Arabia has been added to the list, making it a total of 167 countries. |
|7||e-Visa Categories||e-Touriste-Businesse-Medical visae-Conferencee-Medical Attendant||Demand for issuing Destination Wedding Visa not accepted – To be granted under normal Tourist/e-tourist visa|
|8||Visa on Arrival||Allowed to Japan||Extended to the citizens of the Republic of Korea|
|9||Conversion of Visa Category for Medical Treatment||Conversion of visa category was required||Foreign residents who fall sick during their visit to India can avail medical treatment without converting their visa into Medical Visa.|
E-Medical Attendant Visa
It is granted to a maximum of two persons who are going to escort the person who is an e-Medical visa holder and is visiting India for medical treatment.
Here are the important points to be kept in mind while applying for this visa:
- The medical attendant visa is granted only to the family members of the individual seeking treatment in India.
- The visa stands valid for 60 days and it is not extendable.
- The application process for this e-visa India is similar to other categories i.e. you have to fill the online application, submit the required documents and make the payment.
- The attendant visa can be obtained 3 times within a year.
E-Visa India for Conference
E-Conference visas are given for workshops held in India to discuss a particular subject or for international seminars or conferences. Following are the major points to know before applying for this visa.
- Before the e-conference visa is issued, the delegates need to produce an invitation letter to the seminar/conference or workshop organized by the NGOs, government-owned institutions, private institutions, UN, Specialized agencies, any Ministry or department of the Indian government.
- E-Conference visa permits a stay of 30 days in India.
- Only single entry is allowed with this visa.
- It has a validity period of three months and the duration is counted from the day the visa is issued and not from the day you enter India.
- Visitors will be allowed to access India from any of the authorized Indian immigration check posts for e-visa.